Mom was Right: Breakfast IS the Most Important Meal of the Day!
You’ve heard it time and again: “Eat your breakfast!” “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day!” “Don’t skip breakfast!”
But, do you know why? Aside from keeping mom happy, there are so many important reasons. Several studies suggest:
- You need to “break” your “fast,” and by starting the day with a nutritious breakfast, you give your metabolism a much-needed boost after sleeping. Also, eating breakfast keeps your blood sugar stable throughout the day preventing crashes and getting “hangry.”
- Breakfast eaters can more easily maintain a healthy weight and that it helps prevent weight gain. In fact, if you are trying to lose weight, breakfast eaters have an easier time meeting their weight loss goals.
- Eating breakfast induces better cognition and brain function (better retention and a sharpened focus) and increased well-being. Higher levels of concentration and happiness both correlate to greater workplace — and overall — success.
- Children who regularly eat breakfast have been proven to achieve higher test scores, have better focus and behavior in school and better overall academic performance. In short, kids can’t learn if they are hungry.
- Eating breakfast is associated with a lower risk of obesity, heart disease, and type two diabetes.
So, now that we all know we NEED to eat breakfast, we need to learn WHAT to eat! It’s very easy to pick up a banana or a breakfast bar and run out the door, but that’s not going to cut it. A nutritious breakfast, with all the benefits listed above, must include a combination of protein, fiber, healthy fats and carbohydrates.
We at Mann’s know eating a healthy breakfast can sometimes be daunting. It’s one of the reasons we’re introducing Nourish Bowls Breakfast to our popular Nourish Bowl lineup. There are two yummy, nutritious options to choose from: the Denver Scramble and Fiesta Scramble. Add your own eggs and microwave for 4 minutes for a warm breakfast that is high in protein (22-23 g), low in calories (330 or less), and high in fiber. Oh, and did we mention they’re REALLY DELICIOUS??
Have fun “breaking” your “fast” and let us know what you think of the new Nourish Bowls!